A new year...
This is the traditional time for goals, for changes.
I have noticed, however, that it is also a time that is frustrating for a lot of people. Goals are made and then life happens and they are forgotten, the new year is just a reminder of failure.
For me, January is actually a good time to reflect and resolve to do better. I mean, what else does January have? There are no major holidays or deadlines, just inversion (and the inside recesses that come with it!)
So I love to make goals. I am not always good at accomplishing them, but I love the hope that accompanies them. The hope that I can start fresh and become who I know I can be.
In the last year, I have learned a lot about goals.
Last January I made the goal to lose weight, as so many do. Then, real life hit - with a new baby, work, school, etc... and nothing happened.
It took until June for it to really hit. I was tired of being fat. I was tired of nothing fitting and did NOT want to spend money on new clothes. More than that though, I wanted to be the mom Graham deserves. I needed something to change.
So I made a deal with a friend and neighbor. We would just report our weight gains/losses each week to one another. We never had to name the weight but to account for pounds lost or gained. Then, I started running.
I love to run. BUT getting back into the habit was HARD. However, I did it.
And the weight started coming off.
I was worried about school starting and losing my momentum. So I made mileage goals - that were reachable- for each week.
I have only missed one week (due to injury & made up the following week) since school began. To be 100% honest, I am afraid to because I might lose my momentum.
I have now lost over 25 lbs.
I even kept it off over the holidays.
This is what I have learned:
So this year when we made goals, we focused on overall goals/themes and the habits needed to reach them. We made them reachable day to day. They do not overwhelm us. We also associated rewards with them.
And it is working. The changes are happening. They are not large changes or perfection, but things are changing, for the better.
This is the traditional time for goals, for changes.
I have noticed, however, that it is also a time that is frustrating for a lot of people. Goals are made and then life happens and they are forgotten, the new year is just a reminder of failure.
For me, January is actually a good time to reflect and resolve to do better. I mean, what else does January have? There are no major holidays or deadlines, just inversion (and the inside recesses that come with it!)
So I love to make goals. I am not always good at accomplishing them, but I love the hope that accompanies them. The hope that I can start fresh and become who I know I can be.
In the last year, I have learned a lot about goals.
Last January I made the goal to lose weight, as so many do. Then, real life hit - with a new baby, work, school, etc... and nothing happened.
It took until June for it to really hit. I was tired of being fat. I was tired of nothing fitting and did NOT want to spend money on new clothes. More than that though, I wanted to be the mom Graham deserves. I needed something to change.
So I made a deal with a friend and neighbor. We would just report our weight gains/losses each week to one another. We never had to name the weight but to account for pounds lost or gained. Then, I started running.
I love to run. BUT getting back into the habit was HARD. However, I did it.
And the weight started coming off.
I was worried about school starting and losing my momentum. So I made mileage goals - that were reachable- for each week.
I have only missed one week (due to injury & made up the following week) since school began. To be 100% honest, I am afraid to because I might lose my momentum.
I have now lost over 25 lbs.
I even kept it off over the holidays.
This is what I have learned:
- Goals have to be reachable in short term
- Goals need to be be related to habits you desire
- Anything really is possible
- Goals need to have rewards associated with them
- Goals need accountability, whether to yourself or someone else but you need to be accountable for what you do or don't do
So this year when we made goals, we focused on overall goals/themes and the habits needed to reach them. We made them reachable day to day. They do not overwhelm us. We also associated rewards with them.
And it is working. The changes are happening. They are not large changes or perfection, but things are changing, for the better.

1 comment:
What a great post! Way to go on your running. I totally agree with your 5 points about goals. I have to be really specific with any goals I set or I am doomed to fail before I even begin. P.S. I need a Graham fix!
Post a Comment